How to Play PlayStation 2 [PS2] Games on Android
PlayStation 2 (PS2) was one of the most popular game consoles in the world. Because so popular...
On March 4th, 2000 ago, PlayStation 2 was officially launched in Japan. On the first day of the launch, many stores reported that they had run out of stocks, even some stores had opened sales in the early morning and found a very long queue of prospective buyers.
That same year on October 26th, PS2 was officially launched in America. As in Japan, the PS2 supplies also run out quickly and become highly sought after items. As mentioned on e-bay there were people who willing to pay $ 1,000 for 1 unit PS2.
Then on November 24th of that year, PS2 was officially launched in Europe, as in America, the availability of PS2 for Europe was also limited, but it does not reduce the interest of people to order first.
Now, the PS2 has been considered obsolete. His journey was over. After the PS4 was released, Sony stopped selling PS2 in 2013. However, in fact, many popular PS2 games are still missed until now.
Do you want to play it again? If so, now you can play PS2 games on Android using emulators. There are two ways to play PS2 games on Android, using Play! and DamonPS2 Pro emulator.
How to Play PS2 Games on Android with Play! Emulator
According to Purei.org, Play! is a PlayStation 2 emulator for the Win32, OSX, iOS, and Android platforms. This is the first PS2 games emulator on Android.
The advantages of this emulator are...
- You don't need PS2 games BIOS. Play! is a high-level emulator.
- Easy configuration. No custom settings to fix specific games.
- Available on many platforms. Making sure the experience is the same everywhere.
If you want to use Play!, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install the Play! emulator on your smartphones, You can download the new version via Purei.org.
2. Create a file with ISO format from your original PS2 games, you could use software such as "Ultra ISO" and others. You also can get PS2 games ISO for free on Emuparadise, Coolroom, and others.
3. Extract the PS2 games ISO.
4. Move the PS2 game ISO to the Android smartphone, you can place it anywhere. Then open the Play! the app which you just installed, the game will automatically be detected immediately.
5. Done, now can play your favorite PS2 games.
Review: This emulator still needs improvement and a lot of time to develop.
How to Play PS2 Games on Android with DamonPS2 Pro
After Play!, now comes DamonPS2 Pro, an emulator that can play PS2 games on Android a little more smoothly. This emulator was developed by DamonPS2, an app developer from Hongkong, China.
With the slogan of The Fastest PS2 Emulator for Android in Global, of course, many Android gamers are smitten with the features of this emulator.
A little information ...
Actually, I heard the release of this emulator on Google Play Store in November 2017, but because I made Harvest Moon: Light of Hope guide, so I just had time to discuss it on this blog now.
Compared to Play!, although a newly released emulator, DamonPS2 Pro is able to run many PS2 games.
The developer itself claims that this emulator is capable of running many PS2 games on certain Android phones.
For example like Samsung Galaxy S8, Mi6, Huawei P10, and smartphones with equivalent specifications (Snapdragon 835) are able to run 90% of PS2 games smoothly.
Some examples of games that can be played include:
- Final Fantasy XI can be 60 fps
- God of War 2, can be 55 fps
- Contra - Shattered Soldier, can be 48 fps
- Marvel vs Capcom 2, can be 60 fps
How to Play PlayStation 2 Games on Android Using the DamonPS2 Pro
Follow the steps below:
1. First, you need some materials below:
DamonPS2 Pro Emulator
You can buy it on the Google Play Store for $9.99 USD.
Update January 9, 2018: DamonPS2 Pro temporarily removed from Google Play due to violations of the use of the descriptions that don't meet Google Play specifications/standards.
The developer also deals with PCSX2 about the source codes they use on the DamonPS2 Pro emulator. The PCSX2 team claims that DamonPS2 has stolen the PCSX2's source codes.
Update January 25, 2018: DamonPS2 Pro is back on the Google Play Store. Parallel Space can no longer be used to play DamonPS2 Pro's newer version for free.
Update February 2018: Now you can get the free version on Google Play.
You also get it free via the certain web, just search through Google with the keyword 'Download DamonPS2 Pro'.
If you don't want to be confused with the updates of the app and how to install it, I suggest you buy it on Play Store.
PS2 Game(s) ISO
You can download all games on websites like Emuparadise, Coolrom, Lover, and others. You also can search by keywords 'PS2 Game Name ISO' on Google.
You can easily get it on Google. This one for example:
* Copy-paste the above link into your browser.
Parallel Space (Optional)
You can get this app for free on Google Play Store. Note: You can no longer use this for the updated version
2. Extract the BIOS.zip file using the 7zipper / Z archiver / Rar application into a folder in Internal Memory.
If you do not have one of the extractors above, install it first, download it for free on Google Play Store.
3. Extract the zip ISO game file of PS 2 into the folder you want, one folder with BIOS also no problem.
4. Install the Parallel Space, then open the app, add DamonPS2 Pro, then activated Quick Mode (click the dot icon at the top right of the screen) to remove the license from DamonPS2 Pro.
5. Run DamonPS2 Pro from the Parallel Space app. When you have entered the main menu, open the BIOS menu, and find the BIOS file that you extracted earlier (e.g scph10000.bin).
Remember, You do not need Parallel space if you buy the DamonPS2 Pro on Google Play Store.
6. Enable the BIOS.
7. The final step, open the games menu and run the PS2 game ISO that you extracted earlier.
8. Congratulations, now you can play PS2 games on your Android Smartphone.
Unfortunately, because it's still in the early stages of development, some heavy PS2 games can not be played smoothly on smartphones with lower specifications than I mentioned above.
To prove it, I experimented with playing Harvest Moon: Save The Homeland. Here are the results of my experiment.
DamonPS2 Pro Review for Playing HM STH on Android (Tested on Flash Plush 2)
The Android phone Specs:
- OS: Android Marshmallow 6.0
- Processor: MediaTek Helio P10 Octa-core 1.4GHz
- GPU: Mali-T850MP22
- RAM: 2 GB
- Memory: 16 GB Internal Memory (Modified to 32 GB with external sd card)
As you know, Harvest Moon: Save The Homeland is one example of heavy games like Harvest: A Wonderful Life if played on Android. So I select this game as a sample for this review.
When the Natsume and Marvellous pictures show up, it's still smooth. But after entering into the main menu, there is a scene of a dog walking around, the game is lag and runs very slow (slow motion).
The FPS (Frame rate per second) obtained during the game can reach 20-40 FPS, but for some reason, it's still slow even though I try to change the settings.
From the above experiments, it can be concluded that:
- The DamonPS2 Pro emulator is still in the early stages of development as I have explained above.
- The processor is less suitable. As we know, MediaTek not good enough to play games when compared with Qualcomm Snapdragon. Maybe, that's one of the reasons why the game runs very slowly. I can be informed that at least its Chipset should be Snapdragon 625 or better.
- The GPU is not good. Mali GPU is less suitable for gaming compared with Qualcomm's Adreno.
- 2 GB of RAM is not enough. In running heavy games, RAM greatly affects. I think we need at least 4 - 6 GB of RAM to play games like Harvest Moon: Save The Homeland smoothly.
Even so, from some emulators I've tried such as Play! or Dolphin (though it's not really a PS2 Emulator), I think so far, DamonPS2 Pro is the best PS2 games emulator on Android.
The developer of DamonPS2 itself promised to update every 2 weeks to fix some bugs and accelerate the performance of this emulator.
Although I haven't been able to try this emulator on a smartphone that has a high specification, I hope this article can provide you an overview, whether the phone you use can play PS2 games on Android or not.
Hopefully, these two emulators can run the PS2 games very well on Android phones with lower specifications in the future.
That's How to Play PS2 Games on Android. Ask me if you have any problems during installation. For you who already play PS2 games on certain phones with these two emulators, I hope you can share your experience in the comments below. Thanks.